Diane Boit: first student of Mandan High School, Governor of Girls State, 1947 | Mandan News

25 years ago – 1997

A section of Highway 1806, which ran through Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park, six miles south of Mandan, was permanently closed due to major cracks in the pavement, including one with a drop of nearly five feet. . Damage to the road was caused by the normal spring thaw and flooding from the Heart River. The park’s old main entrance was relocated to the park’s southern boundary, and temporary road signs were erected by the state Department of Transportation to direct visitors to the new entrance, using the Bypass Road from the park. 1806 highway that runs along the west side of the park. There are no plans to repair the “old” highway for vehicular traffic in the park.

Weather recorded Tuesday, July 22: a maximum of 86 degrees; 60 degrees for the bottom.

50 years ago – 1972

People also read…

Robert L. Weiler, shift foreman and relief night supervisor at the United States Mandan Oil Refinery, retired from the company after more than 32 years of service, the last 18 at Mandan. Weiler was honored at a retirement party at Jaycees Park where he received a set of golf clubs from his colleagues and a company wristwatch. Weiler began his career with the Standard Oil Company of Indiana in February 1940 as a pipefitter at its refinery in Sugar Creek, Missouri. After serving in the United States Navy during World War II, it returned to the Missouri plant and was transferred to the Mandan refinery in 1954.

The Mandan Chiefs snapped a three-game losing streak and earned the team’s first win at the Billings Invitational American Legion baseball tournament, beating Williston, 10-3. Tony Engelhardt’s Mandan team, now 11-16 for the year, finished the three-day tournament with a 1-2 mark and capped a five-game road swing with games in Miles City, Mont. , and Rapid City, South Dakota. Chris Assel’s goal-laden sacrificial fly, Craig Stenslie’s single, Blaine Hohbein’s two-run hit and a pitching error, gave the Chiefs a comfortable four-run lead in the first inning that never been threatened. Assel and Hohbein each finished with three RBIs in support of right-hander Bob Lighthizer who evened his record at 4-4.

sergeant. Major and Mrs. Eugene Ellsworth, Flasher, have been appointed officers in charge of the Mandan Salvation Army Corps, according to Thomas C. Lewis of the Bismarck Corps. Ms. Ellsworth, the former Agnes Lewzader of Valley City, graduated in 1940 from the Salvation Army School for Officers Training in Chicago. sergeant. Major Ellsworth is from Flasher and served in the Air Force during World War II. The couple married in Valley City, began farming in Flasher in 1946, and have been active in the Mandan Corps ever since.

75 years ago – 1947

Patricia West, daughter of Reverend and Mrs. Elmer West of rural Mandan, was elected governor of the first North Dakota Girls State Convention held at Jamestown College. Miss West was chosen by her classmates from Mandan High School as a delegate to Girls State. She was sponsored by the Mandan Unit of the North Dakota Department of the American Legion Auxiliary, which inaugurated the state citizenship program. Ms. Art Olson is Girls State President for Mandan Unity. Miss West and Patricia Ruud de Fargo, the Girls’ State Lt. Governor, will be North Dakota’s delegates to the Girls’ State National Convention to be held in Washington, D.C.

Bishop Vincent J. Ryan, Bishop of Bismarck, officiated at the religious profession and at the reception of two young girls entering the convent of the Benedictine Sisters of the Sacred Heart in Minot. Sister Mary Eve, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alex J. Leingang of Fort Yates, made her final profession of religious vows, while Sister M. Kathleen, formerly Irene Kuntz, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Kuntz of Fallon, received the Benedictine habit.

The funeral was held on July 21 for Dr. Frank E. Bunting, 83, a longtime Mandan physician and senior physician and surgeon in western North Dakota until his retirement in 1941. Dr. Bunting came to Mandan in 1897, nine years after graduating from the University. from Michigan. He was Morton County Health Officer for over 40 years and a life member of the Mandan Masonic Lodge. Services were held at the Bunting House, 203 4th Ave. NW, with Reverend GW Stewart of the First Presbyterian Church officiating. Survivors include his widow, Margreta, and two children from a previous marriage. Burial took place at Mandan Union Cemetery.

Births announced this week: son of Mr. and Mrs. William Karls, Mandan; to Mr. and Mrs. Ed Mosbrucker, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Kuntz, and Mr. and Mrs. William Kastner, all of Glen Ullin. Daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Milton Kollman, Glen Ullin; to the Reverend and Mrs. Paul Kuehl, Mandan; and to Mr. and Mrs. Emil Kepplin, Hebron.

100 years ago – 1922

“It looks like the railway workers’ strike won’t end anytime soon. North Pacific officials are reluctant to approve July 1 wage increases, as proposed by various unions. Instead, pending negotiations with union presidents, they have offered to pay all employees the same wage scale that was in effect before July 1, if they return to work and agree to submit their grievances. to the US Railway Labor Board for settlement of differences.

“Mandan has 50 traders and 62 drivers on strike. Merchants face a reduction of 7 cents per hour, from 77 to 70 cents, and car salespeople a reduction of 9 cents per hour, from 72 to 63 cents. This equates to a reduction of $14.56 per month for merchants and $16.28 per month for drivers.

“Tensions are rising in Mandan today as the strike continues. Someone took a photo at 3am today through the window of the house of Joe Tokash, who had accepted a job as a special night watchman for the North Pacific. His job is to be on the lookout for troublemakers who might damage trains overnight as had been reported in other states. After an investigation, police, city officials and strike leaders all agreed it was most likely a stray bullet, fired by an intoxicated bystander.

History: The Great Railroad Strike of 1922 was a nationwide strike by railway workers, shop and roundhouse workers, who rioted against a 12% pay cut. Launched on July 1 by seven of the 16 railway unions, more than 390,000 workers left their jobs.

When World War I began, the nation’s railroads were nationalized by an executive order of President Wilson, and railroading was turned over to the US Railroad Administration. A period of social harmony ensued, marked by a rise in wages and the establishment of the eight-hour day throughout the railway industry.

In 1920, after control of the railroads returned to private hands, a nine-member panel, known as the Railroad Labor Board, was given the power to oversee the wages and working conditions of more than two million American railroad workers. Due to inflation and rising operating expenses, profits had shrunk, and the board looked for ways to cut costs, starting with cutting wages for lower-tier workers. Train conductors, engineers, firefighters and brakemen were not affected.

As the strike continued, railroads replaced skilled and semi-skilled workers with 300,000 scabs, resulting in violence and death, forcing the National Guard to be on duty in seven states .

125 years ago – 1897

“At 2:30 p.m. Thursday July 22, the thermometer recorded 74 degrees above zero.

“Is the weather forecaster going to hit the rain button?

“The exterior woodwork and cornice of the InterOcean Hotel are getting a new coat of paint.

“Mr. LN Cary eats corn from his garden. It’s the reward for frost protection this spring.

“Alex Smith came down from Fort Rice on Saturday. He has killed 42 wolves this season. Her stepfather, Ben Corbin of Emmons County, killed 67 wolves and still hunts.

“North Pacific Stores worker Joe Mellner seriously injured his right hand this morning. Yesterday a brakeman lost two fingers while hitching a train at the stockyard. Both men were sent to the Railroad Hospital in Brainerd, Minnesota.

“Sister Beatrice, Principal of Cannon Ball School, left last week for her home in Switzerland. Sweet Sister was much loved by Indians and whites alike, and they greatly regret her departure. Her departure will leave a vacant position worth $60 per month, as well as other assistant and housekeeper positions worth $40 and $30 per month, respectively.

Diane Scharf-Boit can be reached at [email protected]

Martha K. Merrill