Greenport High School student arrested for threatening school, police say

Southold Town Police have arrested a 15-year-old student from Greenport Secondary School who allegedly threatened to ‘shoot the school’.

Police said they were notified by district school resource officers on Friday that a student had made a threat. Detectives responded with school resource officers, and the student who is in grade nine has been identified as the source of the threat, police said.

Police arrested the boy on Monday and charged him with uttering a terrorist threat, a felony and second-degree aggravated harassment, a misdemeanor.

The boy had previously been investigated for threatening in May, police said.

He is due in Riverhead Family Court on Monday, police said.

Greenport Superintendent Marlon Small did not immediately respond to a request for comment Monday morning.

Arrests of students on Long Island have spiked in the past two weeks following the Uvalde, Texas, massacre in May that left 19 children and two teachers dead. Two Riverhead High School students were arrested earlier this month on the same terrorism threat charge and Riverhead Town police responded to a third threat from a middle school student.

Suffolk County Police reported multiple arrests across the county. The Westhampton Beach Police Department also reported the arrest of a teenager earlier this month.

On Shelter Island, school security has been threatened twice in recent months, but no arrests have been made. The first took place on December 16, 2021 and the second on February 16 this year, as previously published in the Reporter.

The nature of the threats was not revealed by the police department or the school; Shelter Island school superintendent Brian Doelger said no particular student was threatened. Beyond that, he said he would not comment since he is not authorized to discuss a student’s discipline.

Det. sergeant. Jack Thilberg said the December incident had been “thoroughly investigated and judged”. It was determined, he said, that the appropriate response was to refer the incident to school officials “for resolution through school policies and departments.”

As for the February incident, Sgt. Thilberg said the police department and school administration “have taken proactive steps to resolve this matter without the need for judicial intervention at this time. The school and police will continue to monitor progress for an extended period to ensure a successful resolution.

Martha K. Merrill