Teenager arrested for murder of Highland Springs high school student Jahiem Dickerson

HENRICO COUNTY, Va. — A teenager has been arrested in the shooting that killed a 16-year-old Highland Springs High School student last weekend.

Jahiem Dickerson was shot just after 12:10 a.m. on Saturday April 9 on Glenwilton Drive in eastern Henrico County.

Police said in an email on Saturday evening that officers arrested a teenager earlier in the day for his role in the homicide.

“The young teenager, whose identity cannot be revealed due to his age, has been admitted to the Henrico juvenile detention center,” police said.

The teenager has been charged with motions for second degree murder, attempted robbery, possession of a firearm while a minor and two counts of using a firearm in the commission of a crime.


Hundreds mourn slain Highland Springs student

A vigil for Dickerson was held outside Highland Springs High Monday evening.

The teenager played on the Springer basketball team, which won the state championship less than a month ago.

“We don’t want to keep coming and doing this,” Highland Springs High School principal Kenneth White said at the vigil. “You have so much potential.”

Dickerson’s father said he was his son’s biggest fan.

“Now he will be my angel,” he said. “I want everyone to know that Jaheim despises everyone who came out to support him. I appreciate everyone in my son’s life, it was good for him.”

The 16-year-old will be buried in his Highland Springs basketball uniform.

Jaida Taylor, 9, and Nyasia Barrett, 10


Jaida Taylor and Nyasia Barrett. Jaida points to the shot where a neighbor was killed in her grandmother’s neighborhood.

Girls heard shooting that killed teenager Henrico

Two cousins ​​at a sleepover at their grandmother’s house heard the shooting which killed the 16-year-old.

Jaida Taylor, 9, and Nyasia Barrett, 10, shared what they witnessed as they watched the scene unfold in their grandmother’s front yard.

Their grandmother has a doorbell camera, which showed police responding to the incident and captured a woman shouting “that’s my son”.

“I didn’t hear any screaming or anything – just pow-pow,” Jaida recalled. “We looked out the window and saw a boy lying right there.”

Jaida and Nyasia said after what happened early on Saturday, they see where they were playing differently.

“In memory of him, I don’t want to play here anymore,” Nyasia said. “I want it to be in memory of him.”

Martha K. Merrill